Monday, February 22, 2010

Simple

We finally got our beachy day yesterday. As anyone in Sydney will know, it was HOT yesterday. I got sunburnt. Naughty. But you know how going to the beach leaves you feeling refreshed, light, and quite health-ful and alive? That's what I most enjoyed. And so it was fitting that we had a super fresh, cool, and delicious dinner to complement our day.


Roast Beetroot, Button Squash and Rocket Salad

I roasted a fresh beetroot, diced, in a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Added some button squash near the end. Then in a little pan I made some caramelised onions and then fried some chopped bacon. When everything was nicely refrigerated, I combined rocket, the beets and squash, the onion and bacon, some corn kernels, and a healthy measure of fresh dill with a little dressing of balsamic vinegar with a smidge of olive oil. Delicious!

This was just something I made up as I perused the fruit market produce. I used dill because I am a dillaholic, but chives, basil or other fresh leafy herbs would work too. Sweet potato would also be nice instead of the beet, and I was being good so didn't have cheese, though a fetta, haloumi or bocconcini would have been great.

I am a bit of a fan of yummy salads this summer. What's your favourite?

4 comments:

Anastasia said...

beetroot is so underrated - i love it!! might have to try something like this tommorow on my day off...takes a while to roast beets but worth the wait!

Carley said...

Yum! Sounds delicious Emma

benconservato said...

Oh Emma, you are making me want to dash out and get some beetroot. We ate alot in the North of France (because they grow it more so for sugar beet)... so it pops in my head occasionally. This looks delicious!
Tomorrow night could be the night.

Jo (ruby-jo) said...

Sounds good! I love roast beetroot. A cafe next to the bike shop used to do an awesome roast beetroot and carrot salad.